Antibiotic stewardship key points from this talk:
- Audit how antibiotics are being used in your unit/hospital – if you don’t measure something you can’t change it!
- Eliminate unnecessary use – including post-operative prophylaxis
- Rationalise empirical antibiotic use – use agreed guidelines and ensure these are consistent with local antimicrobial resistance patterns
- Post-empiric management: critically evaluate response of inpatients to antibiotic treatment at 48-72 hours: Clinical – temperature, control of sepsis, evaluation of source, WCC, CRP, culture results. Decide – Is there another non-infective cause? Is antibiotic treatment still indicated? If ongoing treatment indicated – consider early switch-to-oral
- Limit durations of treatment to what the evidence base supports!