- Culture appearances – see the Atlas – bisected pearl appearance of the colonies on charcoal agar.
- Diagnostic pointers – Diagnosis of pertussis
- Outbreak literature – local studies – Pertussis outbreak PNG 2012, PNG medical journal 1977 report on pertussis outbreak. Earlier report from Highlands 1977.
- Incidence study (Nepal) – what would comparable data from PNG be like? Population-Based Pertussis Incidence and Risk Factors in Infants Less Than 6 Months in Nepal. J Pediatric Infect Dis Soc. 2017 Jan 10 . The incidence of PCR-confirmed Bordetella pertussis was low at 13.3 cases per 1000 infant-years (95% confidence interval, 7.7-21.3) in a cohort of 3483 infants with at least 1 day of follow-up. ” Nepal‘s immunization program, which includes a childhood whole cell pertussis vaccine, may be effective in controlling pertussis in infants.”
- Immunisation :
Benefits of routine immunizations on childhood survival in Tari, Southern Highlands Province, Papua New Guinea.Int J Epidemiol. 2005 Feb;34(1):138-48.
Recorded immunisation schedule –
- PNG – WHO schedule record :
we have isolated and identified a case of Bordetella pertussis on chocolate agar from a 42days old male infant admitted in the department of pediatrics, Tribhuvan University Teaching Hospital, Kathmandu, Nepal.