It’s useful to know your schedules and appreciate something of the rationale for the dosing recommendations. Also be aware of key vaccines that are yet to be introduced – e.g. rotavirus, HPV. Please work through the SAQ below. Correct 2016 version of Immunisation schedule obtained from PNG Paediatric site, 2018.
In the news:
- Recent menC meningococcal disease outbreak, Fiji
- Polio outbreak in PNG – WHO update (July 2018). Enga case detected now!
Some short questions to consider:
- Contrast the PNG and NHS schedules above. What important gaps are there?
- Why has IPV replaced OPV in the NHS schedule?
- What is happening with wild type polio control across the world? Which subtype has been eradicated? Where are the remaining areas of activity for wild type polio?
- How does OPV revert to virulence?
- What are the risks of dengue vaccine? What is its efficacy in different groups?
- How does one estimate vaccine efficacy?
- Australian Immunisation Handbook 10th Edition : great reference on specific immunisation topics