- Acute meningitides – CNS infection cases Ferguson 2017 acute
- Acute bacterial meningitis – new treatment guidelines for PNG – Editorial PNGMJ 2012- Chloramphenicol replaced by ceftriaxone.
Acute community-acquired meningitis and encephalitis – review 2002 MJA
- Primary amoebic meningoencephalitis (childhood) in QLD – review 2016 MJA
- See this link for an animation of PCR
2. Chronic meningitis and encephalitis – Encephalitis and chronic meningitis Ferguson 2017
See also this posting concerning cryptococcal antigen detection for HIV patients.
Potential viva questions (practice with each other!):
- What are the causes of acute meningitis in adults … in children … in neonates
- What are the typical CSF findings in viral m … bacterial m.
- What is a parameningeal focus and explain what CSF findings might be expected
- Interpret this CSF picture – e.g one of the cases above
- Discuss the laboratory diagnosis of cryptococcal meningitis
- Discuss the lab dx of TB meningitis
- What are viral envelopes made of ? Contrast the properties of enveloped and non-enveloped viruses.
- Describe the causes of chronic meningitis